Friday, August 22, 2008

on the road

Taking JOOLZ on the road is not as easy as it looks.


Last year we were invited to take JOOLZ on the road to the Thompson Hospital Guild boutiques, a gathering of local shops and artists that set up their wares prior to the annual fundraising fashion show. The decision to participate had to be made just a few months after we opened, when I needed to devote all my time and energy to the shop. I had to say no.


This year I said yes...but I honestly didn't realize how much of my time and energy this would take!

I needed to:

  • contact my credit card processing company to determine the best way to process offline charges.

  • talk with my insurance guy to find out about "away" coverage.

  • get sales receipt books and have stamps made with the shop name/address and return policy - and then I needed to stamp all those carbonless receipts.

  • plan the decor of the tables where we would be displaying our joolz....

Black and white was a logical choice, as the store's interior is all B&W. I purchased several yards of white fabric covered with different-sized black polka dots. The look on the face of the clerk at Jo-Ann's was never to be forgotten, as she haltingly asked..."and just what kind of clothing are you going to make with THIS?"

Then I bought white and black foam boards and cut them to different sizes. They would become my display surface for the joolz and would lie atop the polka dots. Finally, I purchased two tall, revolving earring display racks.

I had the equipment. Next I needed to figure out how much inventory to take with me; I had been told there would be 300 guests. I tried to come up with a good mix of joolz - different styles, materials and prices. I think I probably took too much, but better too much than too little.

I also needed some help at the show. Suzanne, my assistant at the shop, would need to stay there to hold the fort while I was away, so I asked two friends to help me out during the selling time. I truly could not have done the show without them.

The big day finally arrived and my husband and I took everything to the event location, thankfully only a few minutes from our home. I set up the tables and started arranging the joolz. My friends and the guests arrived and the next hour and a half flew by.

The joolz were well-received and the shoppers were happy. So was I. At the end of the day, all the time and effort had been worth it, although I haven't been that tired in a very, very, very long time.



My friends, Suzanne (in the back with the headband) and Barb (wearing black and white on the right) were a great help.

No comments: