Sunday, August 9, 2009

august 9, 1969

40 years ago today, at this very minute, we were at a wedding breakfast hosted by my paternal aunts and uncles. Then it was back to my childhood home to get dressed, a limo ride with my father to Brick Presbyterian Church in Rochester and our 4:30pm wedding. I was two months out of college and Larry was an instructor pilot in the USAF, stationed in Lubbock, TX.

It was a sunny, hot day 40 years ago today and we were bursting with happiness. The reception was held under a tent at my parents' home and we had a glorious time, surrounded by many friends and lots of family. We took a brief trip to Toronto and then drove to Lubbock to start our new life together.

40 years later we are the proud parents of 3 great kids and have one delightful grandson, two granddogs and four grandcats. We've both had varied careers and have given much of our time to volunteer activities. We love to travel and are looking forward to our upcoming trip to Wyoming and Montana.

But one of the most amazing things about being married for 40 years is that we can still surprise each other. My unsentimental husband presented me with a beautiful gift of two dozen red roses yesterday and I managed to sleep longer than he did this morning. Both of us were surprised!

Happy 40th Anniversary, Lar! xoxox


No comments: