Tuesday, March 1, 2011

a trip across the pond

While we're currently on the west coast of Florida, I decided to take a trip across the (Atlantic) pond to 1912 England, via PBS and Netflix. I'd heard wonderful things about the recent PBS Masterpiece Theatre series, Downton Abbey, and was able to see it through instant play on the laptop.

I was transported. The plots, characters, costuming and sets are all magnificent. The oldest daughter is probably about the same age as my grandmothers were in 1912, which makes the time frame much more personal for me. My maternal great-grandmother, known as Mommie to succeeding generations, was also a larger-than-life presence in her family, much the same as the character Dame Maggie Smith plays in the series. And while the series is all historical fiction, it is so beautifully produced that it seems quite real.

If you love to be transported to another era, get a copy of Downton Abbey and take a trip across the pond. It's not to be missed.


No comments: