Friday, August 24, 2012

a bad news day

I received some bad news today.

I needed to contact my sign guy today,the person who had made numerous signs for the two different JOOLZ locations, about a new sign needed for a neighborhood group.  I knew with his artistic bent and construction talents, he could do a great job at a reasonable price.

I called his number and his wife answered the phone.  That, in itself, was a little off.  He always answered the phone himself, usually from  the extension in the shop.  I asked for Brent and she told me he wasn't there.  I launched into a message for him and then she stopped me, telling me that he had passed away in March from  a massive stroke. 

At age 59.

In otherwise excellent health.

He'd had oatmeal for breakfast that morning.

I was dumbfounded.

Brent Gillette was an artist, an avid outdoorsman, a hiker and a biker.  He was a fair and honest businessman and a pleasure to work with.  I found him only by chance, having driven by a local hair salon whose sign was eye-catching.  I stopped to speak to the owner to find out who had made her sign and she gave me Brent's name and contact info.  He made inside and outside signs for JOOLZ at both stores, together with vinyl applications for the doors and windows.  Everything was top notch.


Brent Gillette at JOOLZ, May 2007

My deepest sympathy to his wife Robin, their two sons and his grandson.  He will be missed.


No comments: