Saturday, October 30, 2010

france - day 6

As I was signing on to write this post, I saw that it was post #201. Who would have thought I would have so much to say?? But I have already heard many positive comments about our trip travelogue, so let it continue. Here we go with Day 6...

One of the downsides to traveling with a group is that you have little flexibility to march to your own schedule. I like to take my time when I'm on vacation; I like to have time off. So this morning I decided I would stay at the hotel, in the bed, with the curtains closed tight and get some extra sleep. Larry, meanwhile, got up to go see a prehistoric burial mound and a WWII bunker. He took the Flip and not the camera, so we have no pics to share, but he said it was all quite interesting. I am happy to report that my morning sleep-in was equally delightful!

After the morning group returned, we met a chartered boat on the Golfe du Morbihan and cruised the gulf to the city of Vannes. We enjoyed a delicious lunch on the boat while we passed many of the more than 40 islands that dot the gulf. We were told that one island was recently sold for 2.5 million Euros. Pretty snazzy neighborhood.


Placido and the bus met us at the docks in Vannes and off we drove to the charming, medieval village of Rochefort en Terre, home for many years to both French and American artists.


This small village almost felt like it was a movie set, but real people actually do live here.

There is an annual national contest in France to judge how well the towns decorate with flowers. Rochefort en Terre has won the national contest and it's easy to see why. Winning is allowed only once; from then on the town rests on its laurels, but continues to showcase its floral talents each year.











Meandering down the streets and alleys was a visual delight, with new vistas around every corner. I can only imagine what this town looks like at the height of the summer....more tourists than flowers??

Back to the hotel for an evening on our own. We hit the local Wegmans (no comparison!!) and brought back some bread and cheese, which was completely delicious. It was a pretty relaxed day...and I needed that.



No comments: