Thursday, October 22, 2009

southwestern flair

"How do you find your artists?"


I must be asked that question by 80% of our new visitors. I tell them stories of finding artists while traveling, while attending big wholesale shows, while talking to the service manager at my car dealership, while chatting with friends who know someone who knows someone who makes jewelry. It goes on and on...


Most recently I found a new artist, Ad Lopez, while visiting my daughter in Denver. We went to the Junior League Holiday Mart this past Saturday and as luck would have it, we found Ad:


A retired educator and school principal, Ad now uses his artistic talent to create wonderfully colorful jewelry with a southwestern flair, showcasing his Hispanic and Native American heritage. His work has only been available to retail customers at shows throughout the Denver area, but now it is at JOOLZ. We are the first gallery to carry his work and we think our customers will love it. It's so stunning that a good friend wanted the piece I was wearing at dinner Monday evening - I had bought five necklaces but one stayed in Denver with her.

Here are some of the pieces we brought home with us. If they go quickly, and I think they will, daughter Katie is now our designated Ad Lopez buyer. We want to have that southwestern sunshine lighting up JOOLZ all the time...




Vibrant and understated - love 'em!

No comments: