Friday, May 21, 2010

lights...camera...action!

Those of you who know me well know that I have had a long-time fear of public speaking. I mostly got over it when I had a volunteer job that required me to speak in front of audiences of 250+ women. So I thought when I decided to do a cable TV ad that I would be OK with the speaking part. Today we found out for sure that the public speaking devil is still riding on my shoulder.

In walked Sheri, my producer/director from Time Warner, who set up her equipment this morning, ready to film me, the store, the store's dog, Joolie, and last...but most importantly...the joolz. She rolled in a cart carrying the camera and tripod and then lugged in a huge aluminum case of lights. She was ready to work!


I, on the other hand, was getting more and more nervous by the minute. Sheri decided to do my part first. She fitted me with a lapel mic, turned on her high-intensity light and started the camera rolling. We did take after take, not because I flubbed the lines but because I needed to S.M.I.L.E. more. (It's darn hard to talk and grin at the same time). And I needed to look "right into the camera"... so I imagined George Clooney in there. You know that old adage - make love to the camera!

George and I weren't alone in the room, however. Tom, the Time Warner salesman, had also dropped by for the shoot, and my right-hand gal at the store, Suzanne, was there to keep me loose. Tom even brought me chocolates from Sweet Expressions. Bribes are great and much appreciated!


Folks were peering in through the window, trying to see what all the lights and cameras were for. I was trying hard to make this all look natural and like I made commercials all the time. Sheri was trying hard to keep me from checking myself into the Rochester Psych Center. Suzanne and Tom were trying hard not to laugh.

It was a good morning.



No comments: