Monday, March 16, 2009

always on the prowl

Just because we're on vacation doesn't mean I'm not thinking about joolz. I'm ALWAYS thinking about joolz!

Yesterday my friend, Mary, and I traveled south to Bonita Springs to prowl through the art show at the Promenade. We arrived even before the opening bell, but they were taking $$, so we got in early. Nice to not have to fight the crowds.

The overall quality of work was quite high, with only a few artists whose work was a little below par. Of course I was mainly interested in the jewelry artists and remembered several from when I attended the show 2 years ago.

I absolutely fell in love with the work of Jayne DeMarcay from Louisiana. The daughter of a jeweler, Jayne apprenticed at her father's knee and began working with precious metals at the age of 15. Over the years she has developed a unique style reflecting her classical training coupled with a contemporary bent. I would love, love, love to have her work at JOOLZ, but she told me she only sells to retail customers at this point. She does a number of shows around the country and I'm sure has a wide following. Just wish I could convince her to send some of her joolz our way.

Here's a taste of what she does, all in 14K and sterling silver:

Small Scatter Slide

Grid Band

Hinged Links Geometric Bracelet

Cut Dome Slide

No comments: